Brown Rice Pilaf with Sage, Walnuts and Dried Fruit
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium stalk celery, ends trimmed and chopped
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup dark raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage
Spray large skillet with canola oil cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and celery until tender, about 5 minutes. Add brown rice, and saute for 5 minutes. Add water, broth, raisins and apricots; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 50 minutes. Stir in walnuts if desired, sage, salt and pepper. Transfer to serving dish. Garnish with fresh sage and serve immediately.
Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 213 calories, 1 g total fat (<1 g saturated fat), 45 g carbohydrates, 5 g protein, 4 g dietary fiber, 150 mg sodium.
All active news articles