Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
This substantial summer salad offers a healthful balance between vegetables and protein. It provides a wide range of textures, colors and seasonings.
- 1½ cups quinoa
- 1½ Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1½ cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained (preferably no salt
- 1½ cups cooked corn (fresh, canned or frozen)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 medium scallions, chopped
- 1 tsp. finely minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1¼ tsp. ground cumin
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve under cold running water until water runs clear. Put quinoa in a pot with 2¼ cups water. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 20 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
Fluff quinoa with a fork and transfer to large bowl and allow to cool.
While quinoa is cooking, in small bowl toss beans with vinegar.
Add beans, corn, bell pepper, scallions, garlic, cayenne and coriander to the quinoa. Toss well.
In a small bowl whisk together lime juice, salt, cumin and add oil in a stream while whisking. Drizzle over salad and toss well. If desired, add salt and pepper, to taste. Salad may be made a day ahead and refrigerated,covered. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Makes 8 servings
Per serving : 280 calories, 11 g. total fat (1.5 g. saturated fat),
39 g. carbohydrate, 8 g. protein, 6 g. dietary fiber, 156 mg. sodium.