- 2 cans (15-oz. each) no salt added cannelini beans, drained
- 6 large fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped, or 2 tsp. dried
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish (optional)
Place the beans in a deep saucepan. Add the sage, garlic, onion and 1 tablespoon oil. Pour in 1 cup water. Simmer uncovered 15 to 30 minutes, or until much of the liquid has evaporated and the beans are soft but not mushy. Remove the onion and, if desired, the garlic.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the carrot, celery and onion until the onion is translucent, 5 minutes. Add the tomato and cook 5 minutes longer. Stir the mixture into the beans. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm, garnished with parsley, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.
Per serving: 187 calories, 5 g. total fat (less than 1 g. saturated fat), 28 g. carbohydrate, 9 g. protein,
7 g. dietary fiber, 17 mg.sodium.
Updated April 2013All active news articles