Tuesday, November 17, 2009, Issue No. 271
Love your Guests
- 1 cup firmly packed basil leaves
- 1 cup firmly packed baby spinach
- 1/4 cup lightly packed flat-leaf parsley, stems removed
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp. fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 24 1/2-inch thick slices of whole-wheat Italian bread, cut diagonally
In a food processor, combine the basil, spinach, and parsley. Whirl until the leaves are coarsely chopped. Add the almonds, garlic, cheese and broth. Whirl to a coarse puree. With the motor running, gradually drizzle in the oil and process until it is fully blended into the pesto. Season to taste with salt and pepper. There will be about 1 cup of pesto.
Spread the top of each slice of bread generously with pesto. Heat the pesto-covered slices in a toaster oven until the bread is toasted on the bottom and the pesto is warmed through. Serve immediately.
To store any unused pesto, spoon it into a small container, smoothing the top. Pour in enough olive oil to cover the top of the pesto. Refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Makes 8 servings, 2 Tbsp. pesto per serving.
Per serving: 190 calories, 8 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 25 g carbohydrate,
5 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 245 mg sodium.
All active news articles