Tuesday, June 8, 2010, Issue No. 299
Quinoa: Reviving an Ancient Grain
Quinoa with Mushrooms and Squash
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup raw quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved length-wise and sliced
- 1 medium summer squash, halved length-wise and sliced
- 8 ounces crimini or baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Bring vegetable broth to a simmer over medium heat. Stir in quinoa and simmer gently until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a skillet. Add onions and garlic, and sauté over medium heat until translucent.
Add squashes and mushrooms and sauté over high heat until squash is touched with golden spots.
Turn heat to low and stir in cooked quinoa, cilantro, oregano and cumin. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 cups.
Per serving (cup): 170 calories, 5 g total fat (0 g saturated fat), 27 g carbohydrate,
5 g protein, 4 g dietary fiber, 60 mg sodium.
All active news articles