13 Ways of Eating a Tomato
Whether fruit or vegetable, 'tis the season for fresh tomatoes … by the dozens. Summer is the time of year to sample all the sizes including grape, cherry or Big Boy, and varieties, from the Brandywine heirloom to the more recent Celebrity hybrid.
Tomatoes are a rich source of vitamins A and C and the luscious red hue comes chiefly from a plant compound called lycopene. Lycopene has displayed anti-cancer potential in a variety of laboratory
Here's a handful of ways you can enjoy the summer's bounty:
- Summer brunch with color: Add chopped tomato to your omelet.
- Beautiful and simple: Layer slices of juicy red tomatoes with fresh mozzarella and basil leaves. Drizzle a little olive oil for a perfect Caprese Salad.
- Backyard BBQ special: Alternate cherry tomatoes with peppers and onions on a skewer, brush lightly with olive oil and grill.
- Tomatoes dressed up: Stuffed Tomatoes with Feta and Pine Nuts.
- Summer special: Fill a pita with hummus and roasted red peppers, and top it off with fresh diced tomatoes.
- The Naked Tomato: Sliced with a sprinkling of freshly ground pepper and a little sea salt (or any salt).
- Pair with Peaches: Try this delicious Peach-Tomato Salsa with fish, poultry or veggie burgers.
- Spicy summer soup: The classic Spanish cold soup with a "kick" Spicy Gazpacho
- Freshen up your pizza: Add fresh sliced tomatoes and a few dollops of goat cheese to a thin crust Margherita pizza.
- Get your red on: Try these summer favorites together in our Watermelon and Tomato Salad.
- Beautiful and simple 2: Layer slices of juicy red tomatoes with sliced cucumber and red onions. Drizzle with a vinaigrette for a refreshing summer salad.
- Summer pasta: Roast cherry tomatoes and garlic, add to whole wheat pasta and toss with a little fresh basil, olive oil, salt and pepper and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Beautiful and simple 3: Brush baguette slices with olive oil and toast lightly. Top with a basil leaf, tomato slice and crumbled feta cheese for an elegant bruschetta hors d'oeuvre.
Do you have an easy tomato dish you love?
Visit our blog to share and see other people's favorite tomato ideas.
All active news articles